We have to start by saying that you can find a wide array of shipping containers available on the market for numerous purposes. However, at the very beginning it is highly overwhelming to find the proper size especially since people are not aware of different types and possibilities.
The idea is that you will be able to find a storage container that will meet your business needs and purposes. You should remember to check out this site: https://shippingcontainersale.org/40-storage-containers-for-sale/ so that you can discover 40-feet containers with ease.
Everything started back in the previous century when Malcolm Mclean invented a shipping container in 1955. He used help of Keith Tatlinger, who was prominent engineer working for Malcolm’s trucking company.
The first ones were eight feet tall and wide and ten feet long. The design used a twist-lock mechanism on all corners for additional security and attachment. As soon as they became widely used, the shipping industry completely changed along the way.
This particular advancement has wholly affected the entire transportation and shipping industry since it reduced overall expenses and supported the international trade that started after World War II.
We can easily say that one of the most significant inventions that affected the globalization is when containers became widely used.
The main reason for that is that they reduced transport costs, eliminated the requirement for manual sorting, and reduced the time required for shipment to arrive from point A to point B.
At the same time, they shortened shipping times, reduced port congestions, and the percentage of damages and theft were reduced as a result.
Even though the invention has not changed radically from the very beginning, two sizes of containers became the international standard: 20ft and 40ft containers. At the same time, the people in the USA also used 48ft and 53ft containers, but they are not accessible outside the US.
You can also find 10ft choices, but they are not as popular as the large ones.
Different Shipping Container Types
1. Intermodal Shipping Containers
When it comes to this particular type, you should have in mind that they are most commonly used to ship freight across the sea. As soon as you berth it, you should unload it.
In most cases, large gantry cranes will transfer them over the docks, and after that, they will separate them and regroup them in storage areas based on the preferences. Finally, the containers will be loaded onto rail cars or trucks so that they can reach the final destination.
Check here and you will be able to learn more about this particular type of shipping containers.
2. Used Shipping Containers
Apart from the new ones that may come with a high price tag, most businesses are searching for an affordable solution, which is why they choose used ones instead. By choosing them, you are going to save plenty of money and still use them effectively as you would with the new one.
If you own a small business that features a low budget and you wish to avoid hefty expenses, used ones are best consideration especially if you are still shipping on a small scale.
It means the financial sense to take the used one so that you can analyze the market before you invest further.
Of course, it is useless to choose the first one that pops up in front of you, since some used ones can be faulty, while others are not, similarly as any other thing you would buy.
The idea is to avoid paying before you see it in person and inspect it thoroughly because it is vital to get the one, which is in excellent condition for smaller price than new one.
Manufacturers will provide you single units so that you can reduce the expenses, which is especially crucial for small businesses that are still trying to get their names on the market.
You can use them for numerous shipping and non-shipping purposes, including instant buildings and storage. We can differentiate a few different types of used containers that you can find on the market:
- A-Grade Fully Painted – This particular type of used shipping containers come in decent condition with previous repairs so that you can use them afterward. Since all holes are entirely repaired, you will find no dents whatsoever. The floor features no cracks and breakage, and you will be able to open the doors up to 270-degree range. It comes with bar locks as well as handles, seals, saddles, retainers, and cams. Most of them are water and wind tight, which means that you can use them for food export and transportation.
- Wind and Watertight – Even though some containers are not new, you will have papers and certification that will allow you to use it for overseas shipping. Of course, it has to meet some standards when it comes to structural length as well as wind and water tightness, but they are a better choice to get than standard ones that do not feature certification.
Visit this site: https://www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/containers and you can learn everything about container regulations.
- High Cube – When it comes to a high cube container, you will get the one, which is approximately 40 to 45 feet tall, and it can carry up to 30 thousand kilos. It is perfect solution if you wish to ship a large number of products from point A to point B.
- Reefer Container – Even though it is considered as intermodal, it features refrigeration so that you can transport temperature-sensitive cargo over great distances. They feature standalone refrigeration unit, but you will need external power from a port or electrical hook-up so that it can work. If you keep it plugged in, you will be able to maintain the contents inside with ease. Remember that it is affordable solution since most boats rely on ventilation, and it is commonly used to transport fresh products. They come with interior insulation as well as the ability to control the internal temperature. Therefore, it is efficient way to transport goods following particular regulations for affordable price tags.